Macon dating com
The fort was named in honor of Benjamin Hawkins, Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Southeast territory south of the Ohio River for more than two decades.
He lived among the Creek and was married to a Creek woman.
School attendance boundaries are constantly changing and may contain errors.
It was decommissioned about 1828 and later burned to the ground.
A replica of the southeast blockhouse was built in 1938 and stands today on a hill in east Macon.
Part of the fort site is occupied by the Fort Hawkins Grammar School.
During the American Civil War, Macon served as the official arsenal of the Confederacy.
Camp Oglethorpe, in Macon, was used first as a prison for captured Union officers and enlisted men.